Stabilize the Soil in Steep Areas
The erosion potential on steep slopes and bluffs can be reduced by:
• Diverting water away from steep slopes by rerouting drainpipes and gutters. If diverting
water away from the bluff is impractical, it should be routed through a non-perforated
plastic drain pipe that outlets at the very bottom of the bluff into rock drainage.
• If you need a walkway to the shore, follow the natural contours of the slope to go
across or around the slope, or use steps when a walkway must go directly up and
down a slope, but minimize destruction of natural vegetation during construction.
• Keep the moisture- and nutrient-absorbing natural vegetation on steep slopes by
limiting clearing and grading.
• Replant vegetation on barren slopes.
• Create a view corridor through the trees with selective pruning for an excellent view
while maintaining the natural trees and shrubs.