top of page
  • Jodi Eberhardt

Safely Dispose of Unwanted Medications

Expired or unwanted prescription or over-the counter medications from households have traditionally been disposed of by flushing them down the toilet or drain.

This has been demonstrated to cause adverse effects to fish and other aquatic wildlife when these medications get into water systems.

The Cass County Take It to the Box Program provides a safe disposal box for any unneeded over-the-counter medications, prescription or narcotic drugs. Boxes are located at the Cass County Sheriff’s Office in the Courthouse in Walker and at the Cass Lake, Lakeshore and Pine River City Hall; look for the logo.

Crow Wing County offers disposal sites at the Brainerd Sheriff's office and at police departments in Crosby, Nisswa, Breezy Point, Pequot Lakes, and Cross Lake.

For medications placed in the box, leave the name of the medication

on the container but black out with a marker your name and other identifying information. NOT accepted: syringes, needles or sharps, biohazardous waste, cancer treatment drugs or radioactive medications. The service is a free, anonymous, no-questions-asked

program. For more information call 218-547-7428.

28 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page